Flap Books for Everything

It's been an interesting year and Im TRYING to be more organized but it just doesnt work out as well as I would like! My oldest is been having an allergic reaction to something for the last three years and although the doctor says its gluten...I dont understand why its acting up now and not that she was born with it! But I'm only venting at this point and not discussing the topic at hand.

FLAPBOOKS!

I hear a lot of hype on lapbooks but honestly I'm not one to find, print, cut, and then have my third grader paste and print. To me is seems tedious...so we looked up other options and found flapbooks. You take three pieces of paper and then layer them. Then fold them over and staple up top. I love this because its EASY!


Now...for the kicker of the year! Because of issues within our schedule and household...we focused on the absolute priority subjects (English and Math). Now that its almost summer I realized that the one subject that we both wanted to do together (Astronomy) was placed on a side burner and not done!


So for this intro. I am going to use construction paper. Usually I use printer paper so that she can color...otherwise, she would have to print on the computer or right with marker and then her sisters get a hold of the markers and then I get writing on the walls and everywhere else!


As you can tell from the pics...You take three pieces of paper and layer them about an inch. Then fold them so that all the folds are on the same side. Place two or three staples at the top and then place subject tabs. On our first one for intro into astronomy...its astronomy and when you lift the tab there is a definition. The next is early astronomers and then a short description of Galileo and Capernicus. The next is the solar system and the planets that it contains. Also, I asked my third grader to write a mnemonic phrase. For example...Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, & Pluto...My Very Early Morning Just Stared Under Nancy's Pancakes...is the example from our textbook Apologia. She has to make up her own. The next is Astronauts, Telescopes, & Satellites...then the next is God Uses a Star (a description of the most important star in history!) and then the definitions tab is written on the back for bold words as she reads them.

I'll try and keep you updated on our progress! Enjoy your flapbooks!

Here is a link to my favorite science curriculum...http://www.apologia.com/index.asp?proc=pg&pg=4 This year was Astronomy. Hopefully we can get through it by the end of the summer so we can start Zoology - Marine Biology.

Comments

Popular Posts