Home Economics

I never thought I'd be in this particular spot. I have three girls and we're homeschooling but that’s not what I’m getting dizzy over. I never thought I'd actually have to think about teaching my girls how to "do" home economics. But my husband feels that society is pushing girls away from being "women" and boys away from being "men". I can see where he's coming from. High schools no longer give the option of taking home economics as an elective. Our friends with boys and girls that have gone to high school and college have no idea how to make anything other than mac-n-cheese, top ramen, and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Nor do they know how to mend a sock, hem a pair of pants, or iron a shirt.

There is something to be said about knowing how to can fruit, make your own bread, eat from the food pyramid, sew the hole in your favorite pants/shirt, and set the table properly.

So when do you start "teaching" home economics. I've come to the realization that even though my kids are young...and they watch me do my home stuff...they aren’t actually doing much hands on activities to learn. So, I'll start with my oldest and work down. I've looked over different home economics books and I'll order a few then make my own workbook and make a page a week that we'll work through. At the end of the school year, 2014, my eldest will hopefully be able to cook a simple meal, fix a pair of shorts/pants/skirt with a patch or embellishment, and through the year keep their bedroom clean.

My only problem is...do I give the girls their own room so that I can control their living environment a bit more or do I try and divide their room? It boggles my mind the options I have and I can never come up with a concrete answer. So maybe some of you can answer this for me!

I only hope that I can keep up the idea and don’t slack on it because it seems very important to my husband...

Comments

Popular Posts