I'm Back...

Its been a very long month. February was lost in a mess of sickness and traveling. But now we're back and I'm working on my next few projects that will take me another step closer to being the mom that I want to be. I'll tell you what I mean...

Quick Refridgerated Oats

There are multiple ways of making these but when I have tried and tested the new recipes I will post them. To give you a better idea of what they are I'll give you a summary. Need: Mason Jar, Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup quick oats, 1 tsp chia seeds, & 1/4 fruit. There are ways to make it with almond milk/soymilk, honey, and maple syrup but again its recipe by trial and I dont want to refer them unless I've tried them.

Sourdough Bread

I just recently found that my husband is gluten intolerant. Its a sad day when you cant enjoy a tuna or peanut butter and honey sandwhich. But we recently found that sourdough bread does not effect gluten intolerant people because of the fermentation process. I also found a website called Sourdough Simplicity. This woman gives you a step by step instruction on how to make your starter and then making Sourdough Bread at the end of a week process. I'll give you the link and the directions! I havent tried it but many people I know have which is why Im ok at refering the webpage and directions/recipe!

http://www.sourdoughsimplicity.com

Day 1:
Grab a clean quart jar, some UNbleached flour, a measuring cup, and some water, and let’s go. Half a cup of flour. Half a cup of water. Stir. Cover loosely.

Day 2:
The starter often separates into thinner liquid on top and thicker goo on the bottom. This is normal. Just stir before you feed your starter. You simply pour off half of what you have, add a half cup of water and a half cup of unbleached flour and stir.

Day 3:
Now that we’re all the way to Day 3, you are probably noticing a few things. It should start to smell! Repeat Day 2...look how easy!

Day 4:
Uncover the starter and take a sniff. You should have a nice, yeasty smell by now. Pour off half of the starter in your jar. Add a half cup of unbleached flour. Add a half cup of water. Stir. Loosely cover.

Day 5:
Uncover the starter and take a sniff. You should have a nice, yeasty smell by now. Pour off half of the starter in your jar. Add a half cup of unbleached flour. Add a half cup of water. Stir. Loosely cover.

Day 6:
By now you know the drill. Tonight you simply need to take off the cover, stir the starter up, pour off a little bit, add a half cup of flour and a half cup of water. Cover it back up and let it rest until tomorrow.

Day 7:
Basic Sourdough Bread Recipe
**1/2 cup starter
**1 cups water
**1 T honey (optional)
**1 ½ tsp salt
**3-4 cups flour

*Note: you will feed your remaining starter according to how much you poured off to make your bread. If you use 1/2 cup of starter for one loaf, feed the starter that remains in your jar with 1/2 cup of flour and a 1/2 cup of water, cover loosely and let it rest on the counter.

Mixing the Bread

I use a stainless steel soup pot to mix my dough because I like to cover it with a lid and let it rise. You can use a bowl or whatever you like.

I usually mix the starter, water, honey, salt and roughly half the flour just to make sure the salt and honey are fully incorporated before I add the rest of the flour. Also, I stir with my hands. It lets me get a feel for the dough, and if you bake regularly, you will start to bake by feel as much as by measurement.

Once the flour is mixed in and you have a slightly sticky dough, cover the pot or bowl and leave it on the counter for 12 hours or so. I mix up my dough in the evening after the dishes are done. In the morning, it is ready to shape into loaves.

The first rise will take about 12 hours or so. It isn’t completely precise. You want to see the dough double in size. It will rise faster in a warmer kitchen and slower in a cooler kitchen. We like to shoot for a slower rise to fully maximize the benefits of a longer fermentation time.

After the dough has doubled, it is time to shape the loaf–or loaves if you have doubled the recipe.

The easiest way to do this is to butter a loaf pan, punch down the dough, stretch it to form a loaf, and dump it into the loaf pan. You can also bake your loaves in a round casserole dish or on a cookie sheet in a free form loaf. I put a thin layer of olive oil on the top of the loaf to keep it from drying out.

The bread needs to rise a second time. It should almost double in size. This takes 2-6 hours usually, depending on the amount of natural yeast in your starter and also depending on the temp in your kitchen. You can also rise the bread overnight in the fridge then let it come to room temp before baking.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. You can put a pan of water on a lower shelf to make steam in the oven. This helps make a nice crust. You may also want to spritz your loaf with a little water before baking. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Bread should be nice and golden brown. Dump the loaf onto a cooling rack and let it cool for as long as you can stand to wait.






Comments

Popular Posts