Week 1

Hi All.

Its week one of homeschooling and I actually like the concept of homeschooling. I cant say that I'm too thrilled with the homeschooling online though. But I'll break it down for everyone so you all know what I am talking about.

Reasons I don't like it:
1. More impersonal than one on one. (Whats the point of homeschooling if all they are doing is watching a video for 3 hours?)
2. The need for high level of organization. (They have so many books and requirements that it makes me stressed out just thinking about everything I have to do to stay within their accreditation requirements.)
3. There is a lot in the videos that I don't really need but she is required to watch it. (We sing christian songs at home all the time. Why would I want my daughter to sing Zacchaeus was a wee little man song for 5 min? I could sing that with her in the car to save time...)
4. Requires a lot of attention span for a 6 year old to stay put and watch them. (My T sits on the couch and watches it cause she doesn't want to be alone...but as I'm walking through the house doing chores, I see her sitting nicely, then laying, then laying backwards, and sitting on the floor, etc. You get where I'm going with this. There is a lot involved in watching these videos and its a little over the top.)

Reasons I like it:
1. I really like her teacher. She is very nice and seems very loving to her students. She is as engaging as she can get for her online students and is very encouraging to her in-class students!
2. T likes to participate and see all the hand movements. Some say I'm creative but I don't think I'm that creative to make all those arm movements... I'll have to post a recording of her doing her rendition of 'The Elephant' author Unknown! Very cute!
3. I like the curriculum so far. It takes a lot of the guess work out of what we are doing!

I'm hoping I'll like it more once I have things more organized and we get into a better routine. We're going to put a computer into her room so first thing in the morning she can log in and watch her videos...then run our errands!

Other than that, things are going smoothly. She thought it was so neat that she got to take a break and go on a mini vacation with my parents to their farm! She got to go on a train and go to their farm without her little sister...so some one on one time with the grandparents! That's something she wasn't able to do before!

The other change is that we have been reading Charlotte's Web at night time. I'll take it with me when I go stay at their house but its nice to see her ask questions and get involved. Next week is our second field-trip. If I didn't post something before on our first I will in a few min. Next week I'll post on our second week and post pics of our field-trip!

Comments

Popular Posts