The In & Outs of Our 5th Graders Day

It’s the 1st week of school & things are going surprisingly fine. I say fine because they could be better & smoother but overall things are good. 

My 5th grader has a schedule & seems to be following it without any problems. I’ve created a planner on my computer & print it front & back. Each subject has what she is supposed to do for that subject for that day. Every Thursday or Friday I rewrite her next week for her so that the following week we have it ready for her to jump on. The only caveat was that we could not get our Switched on Schoolhouse to work & she missed the first few days because we were trying to download it onto my computer & work through it. The other caveat was trying to get my keyboard to type in Spanish. SOS was closed already so I called my friend, whose husband is an interpreter, & asked them how to change my keyboard to ES instead of EN. For those suffering the same problem:


  1. Start --     
  2. Control Panel --  
  3. Languages   --    
  4. add Spanish*   --   
  5. click on EN button on task bar (mine is bottom of my window) --    
  6. then click on ES.

*We did Mexico because that is what the curriculum asks for.

Let’s take a quick look at the curriculum & thoughts.

BIBLE
            Heart of Dakota (HOD) Resurrection to Reformation Bible Girl Option
                    Heart of Dakota
**So far this has been a great system. I’ve paired it with a virtues curriculum called Polished Cornerstones:Doorposts Polished Cornerstone It’s a great spiral bound book that offers different virtues that are very important for a person to have. Each week I give her a verse that is recommended from the book and give her a task from the book as well that reinforces the virtue it is discussing. Then I have her read the Beautiful Girlhood and do the tasks out of the companion guide the rest of the days. I’m hoping to instill Godly character into these girls of mine and I hope these two curriculums will be helpful!

MATH
            Math U See (MUS) Epsilon
                     MUS
**Another score so far is this great curriculum. It has my daughter thinking outside her comfort zone & challenging her to solve problems in different ways than she would have. Math isn’t always so cut & dry & this curriculum brings color & manipulatives for her to play with so that she not only memorizes but sees what she is memorizing. The worksheets are not tedious like some of the other curriculums we have used so she doesn’t come to me complaining about doing too much math! ~yet!

SCIENCE
            Apologia Zoology: Marine Animals
                        Apologia
**I have to say that I love – love - love Apologia & I’m excited for my 5th grader because I got the idea of a collage notebook from her Literature pack (HOD). Each chapter is supposed to take about 2 weeks so I’ve sectioned off each section to spread it out over that course of time. As she reads each section, she makes a titled collage with definitions, Latin & Greek words, & anything else that seems appropriate for the collage. At the end of the year I’m going to spiral bind it for her for her future memories!

GRAMMAR
            Fix it Grammar by IEW
                          Fix it Grammar
**Again, nothing too tedious in these workbooks but it is covering the basics of grammar as it goes hand in hand with Institute of Excellence in Writing Structure & Style.

LITERATURE
            Heart of Dakota (HOD)
                       Heart of Dakota
**So far so good. This pack comes with girl or boy books, a teacher’s manual, & student manual. The books, from what I’ve read from the descriptions are fun & interesting. I was a little worried about them seeing as my daughter is reading higher grade level than the 4/5 level we picked but we are also doing U.S. History  & I really wanted her to read books that would run hand in hand with the subject.

SPELLING
            Spell U See (SUS)
                      Spelling U See
**Written by the creators of MUS, SUS is supposed to run using the same features. I understand that by repetition the child is getting the words memorized but this really is our first year of using it so I’m not sure how it will work for my daughter. There are colored pencils to find blends & dictation so I’ll have to come back on at the end of the school year & give my opinion then.

HANDWRITING/KEYBOARDING
            Handwriting/Keyboarding without Tears (HWT/KWT)
                       HWT/KWT
**As my daughter gets older she has come to me asking me to read something that is written in cursive. This last time she received a postcard written in it & I told her she needed to read it herself. When she couldn’t, I explained to her that there was a reason for learning cursive & she agreed. Thank God! As for Keyboarding, my mom taught us at a young age to work a type-writer…LOL…so that we would have a skill right out of high school. I saw that my daughter was going to have to start typing reports & such & I didn’t want them to take her whole school day so we started KWT. So far she has been flying through them having fun & I was finally made aware that she was doing too many lessons a day so I had to make her slow down…I think that may be a good thing!

HISTORY/SPANISH
            Switched On Schoolhouse (SOS)
                     Switched on Schoolhouse
**I put both together because they are the same curriculum & I’ve mentioned them before (above) but I will say this: This curriculum takes very little time for one subject. This is great because my daughter is playing games, watching good-educational videos that deal with the subject that she is on. We had a little issue with figuring out the download & the keyboard but once we worked though those problems, we haven’t had any others. She isn’t on the computer for hours & it’s not a tedious lesson. So far we like it. As for Spanish…my husband hemmed a bit about starting to teach her a language but I thought that at least we had it if she was interested. I told her that Fridays (light work days) were her day to do a Spanish Lesson is she was interested & so far…the answer was yes.

WRITING
            Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW)
                      IEW Structures and Style
**This has been recommended to me over & over again & now that she was in 5th  grade & needed to do reports etc. I wanted her to understand the hows of writing because one thing I love about IEW is that they teach the writing so that it affects their speech & vocabulary. So far my daughter has enjoyed the articles that she has read & turned them in excited to see my reaction.  

This is the 5th graders curriculum & although it may seem like a big load, it only takes her a few hours to finish it. The longest items are the collages that she creates in word & paint art apps for her science. As we go through the year we’ll discuss more items but for now I think this blog post is long enough!

Happy Homeschooling!

***next week we talk about my Kinder...



Comments

Popular Posts