To try a new recipe or not to try...

There is a website and blogger that I love. She is a fellow homeschooler and even though I’m not sure where she comes up with all her ideas...I have taken them and used them on my family and in my home. You will recognize her as a women whom I use her geography curriculum for my 8 year old, so without further ado...Confessions of a Homeschooler: http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com

She recently posted two postings and only one of which I have tried. The most recent was the Nutella Brownies. They were light and moist and oh, so good! I made them along with one of my new frozen meals that I tried for the first time today. I will be going through and posting them as I work my way through this blog post. First things first though:

NUTELLA BROWNIE RECIPE (doubled)

1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups nutella
1 & 1/2 cups flour

Mix sugar and butter. Then add eggs. Then add vanilla. Then add nutella. Then add flour. Pour into deep baking dish for about 35- 40 min at 350 degrees and you got the best tasting brownies you will ever eat! Thank God for women like Erica.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/blog/2014/02/nutella-brownie-recipe.html

Now...I've recently got into frozen meals. I think the concept of frozen meals is fantastic way to economize your money and time. I just wish I had been in a place 10 years ago when I first got married to follow these rules. So first I will recommend a book (if I come across any others I'll repost with the recipes I've been using)...

Not Your Mother's (Make-Ahead and Freeze) Cookbook. http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mothers-Make-Ahead-Freeze-Cookbook/dp/B00E8V0JO4 I have not read the whole book yet...nor have I tried any of the recipes but what I've read seems appropriate to my plight of saving time and money by cooking yummy freezer meals for my family.

Now...this freezer meal is called BBQ Chicken. My guests liked it even if I wasn’t all that impressed. I believe that I would substitute the pasta sauce for actual bbq sauce if it will freeze properly of course...but I'll give you the original recipe so that you're aware of what I have done...once I perfect it I will repost. Another note to make...I did not use a slow cooker like the recipe calls for because I didn’t have an extra one and I used two family dinners for my friend and her kids plus me and my family...so I used my turkey roaster...Here you are...comment back with any changes you found yummy!

BBQ CHICKEN

2 green peppers (cut)
1 red pepper (cut)
1 zucchini (chopped)
3 onions (chopped) *I used 2 because My eyes couldn’t take it anymore!
6 red potatoes (chopped) *potatoes don’t freeze well unless they are par-boiled or cooked through. I used slow roasted potatoes from the frozen aisle.
2 garlic cloves
6 chicken breasts or 8 - 9 chicken tenders
1 - 15 oz can of tomato pasta sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar per bag
1/4 tsp salt per bag

*label two gallon size zip lock baggies with the name: BBQ Chicken SLOW COOKER HIGH 4 HRS OR LOW 8 HRS.

*split items between the two gallon bags and freeze.
*note: substituting sweet potatoes for the potatoes is said to work but I don’t know how they freeze. I'd substitute the pasta sauce for actual bbq sauce if it freezes well but not sure how it freezes.

SERVES 4 - 5 PEOPLE

These are two recipes that I have tried recently that I will share and pass along for you to have on hand just in case you didn’t already have it. I know these aren’t my ideas originally but as a conduit...I am picking things that work for my family and hope that they work for you as well.

Happy baking and freezing!

Comments

Popular Posts